January 14, 2011

Review of The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine

I loved this book.  I found it to be both funny and informative.  It was an easy and engaging read - I even found myself reading it on a plane ride during my European vacation.  It is one of the first books I recommend to girlfriends when I learn that they are pregnant.  Sometimes I even send them a copy as a gift.

There were times when this book was laugh-out-loud funny.  There were times, especially during my first trimester, when parts of the book were scary.  One section even made me a little woozy.  But as time passed I found myself becoming more desensitized to certain ideas (epidural, anyone?) and in need of answers.  Thankfully, the information Iovine provides is straight-forward and easy to understand.  And exactly what I needed.

It's been a while since I read this book, I admit, so I can't be too specific on the content (see my first post about the reality of this blog), but I clearly remember the humor of the various top-10 lists and the helpfulness of the what-to-take-to-the-hospital-and-what-not-to-take section.

The whole book is just like a conversation with a girlfriend.  A really good girlfriend who has already been through it and isn't afraid to tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It made me feel more prepared for both pregnancy and the hospital stay, and it entertained me while doing so.  What more could a girl ask for?

Final Rating: Buy
(or borrow on long-term loan - you'll want it have it around for all 9 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment